Sunday, December 1, 2013

Halal Food Guide in Toronto, Canada - Thanksgiving 2013

Alhamdulillah after an awesome Thanksgiving holiday with family in Toronto, I'm back home in Louisiana. It was a week filled with eating lots of halal food and visiting family and friends. My mom was visiting my 2 brothers who live in Toronto and so my hubby, myself along with our 2 year old flew to Toronto to spend a week with them. I had previously visited my brother during August 2012. Between now and then, I have a very good idea of the best halal restaurants in the city. Hence this post :).

1. Hamdi Restaurants
http://hamdirestaurants.com/

Located on Rexdale Blvd, its a very well maintained, hygienic restaurant with very good customer service. Its rare to find such restaurants in North America that serve delicious food in a well maintained setting. I have never had Somalian food before and really excited to try for the first time.We ordered the Beef Stew and the Wasalad ( Goat Shoulder). The meat was succulent and tender. The gravy that comes along with the meat is simply to die for, especially if you're Indian like me. The rice looked like plain yellow rice until you taste it and realized it's flavored too. They serve it along with salad and a tiny tub of really hot sauce. Its not our regular hot sauce but, I guess, a Somalian hot sauce. The food is served on a platter and the serving size is very big for one person. They also serve thick mango juice and a bunch of bananas with the meal. Of course, its optional if you want to eat the bananas with your food or if you choose to eat the meal all by itself minus the bananas.

This is definitely on top of my favorite restaurants list and I'd love to go back to have some more of their delicious Somalian food.

2. Big Moe's burgers
http://www.zabihah.com/d/Toronto+25409+Big-Moes/

Having moved from NJ to Louisiana recently, I have been missing the yummy, unhealthy halal junk food that was very commonly found in NJ such as the fried chicken, cheesesteak, halal pizza, burgers, etc. Big Moe is easily one of the best burger places I've been to. Their Juicy Lucy is a must try with or without the cheese. The best part is the dessert that is sold at Big Moe's. Its a funnel cake covered with strawberry puree, fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Yummy.....

Definitely a must have if you're a big favorite of junk food and dessert like me

3. Al Karam
http://www.zabihah.com/d/Scarborough+1106+Al-Karam-Sweets/

Located in Markham, Al karam serves the best Desi/South Asian mithai ever. Their Gulab Jamuns are soft, fresh and absolutely delicious. The jalebi tastes real good too. The quality of their mithai/dessert is really good because its sold fresh. On comparison to other places, you can clearly tell the difference between the ones that were cooked and frozen earlier and between the ones that Al Karam sells.

4. The Nilgiris
http://www.nilgiristoronto.ca/

Nilgiris is a south Indian restaurant that mainly serves south Indian breakfast/snack items such as Dosa/Idly/ Wada/ Uttapam,etc. They have a huge variety of dosas to choose from. I tried their masala dosa and paneer/cheese masala dosa. The masala dosa tasted good like in any other south Indian restaurant. It was my first time eating the paneer/cheese masala dosa and it was a real good experience. Again, they make their dosas from scratch and serve them fresh.

I'll add more to the list as I recall some of the other places I've been to. Meanwhile, enjoy this guide to eating halal in Toronto. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment