Saturday, March 22, 2014

Parenting Goals

Assalamalikum,

Today I learnt about a Facebook community known as "Gentle Parenting", led by L.R. Knost. I have been reading some of her posts on dealing with toddler tantrums and I'm amazed how some of the things she says is just simple common sense but things we forget to act up on in the spur of the moment. So I've decided to set parenting goals and work towards achieving them. Hopefully, this will help calm both me and my son down at times when we both are trying to win the battle.

1. Speak firmly but softly with him.
2. Hold his arms and look into his eyes while speaking with him.
3. Do a 30-45 minutes cuddle time, snuggle time, reading books before bedtime routine.
4. Look at him and listen to him when he's trying to speak to me or get my attention. I tend to ignore him while speaking with someone or on the phone.
5. Treat him with respect.
6. Absolutely no raising my voice. Count till 10 if I feel like I'm losing control.
7. Play with him for at least 30 minutes daily. He enjoys games like hide n seek, peek a boo, and just plain tumbling down together.

Inshallah I'm going to put into practice the above described goals for at least two weeks and... wait and watch. Most importantly, I'll make dua to Allah SWT to give me patience and wisdom to deal with daily life situations and to shower His blessings on my son.

Happy Saturday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment